All MicroEvals
I need help deciding between continuing Competitive Programm...
Create MicroEval

I need help deciding between continuing Competitive Programm...

Prompt

I need help deciding between continuing Competitive Programming / IOI preparation and switching almost entirely to AI / IOAI. My situation: - I am 16 and live/study in Germany. - I have been doing Competitive Programming very seriously, around **4–6 hours every day**. - Only recently my results and ratings have finally started improving noticeably. - I already have a strong CP base: graphs, DP, segment trees/Fenwick, shortest paths, SCC, greedy, binary search, etc. - However, I am now **extremely tired of CP** and feel that continuing at this intensity for another ~2 years until the IOI 2028 selection may be very difficult. - I don't think I can seriously pursue both CP and AI at the same time. I need to choose one main direction. - If I stay with CP, my main goal would be the German selection for **IOI 2028**. - If I switch to AI, I can already try the **German IOAI 2027 selection**, and I would spend roughly 4–8 hours/day on ML/AI instead. - I already know Python, programming, algorithms, NumPy/Pandas, some PyTorch/scikit-learn, classical ML and some deep learning, so I am not starting AI from zero. - AI is also much closer to my long-term interests: research, ML engineering, building projects, university/research labs, and potentially a future career. - At the same time, I am worried that leaving CP exactly when I am finally getting good at it would waste all the work I invested. - I am also worried that if I stop CP now, I may lose my competitive peak and not be able to return later. Please analyze this as a real decision, not motivational advice. Compare: 1. staying fully committed to CP/IOI; 2. switching primarily to AI/IOAI now. Consider: - probability-adjusted upside; - time required; - burnout/sustainability; - opportunity cost; - transferability of CP skills into AI; - how hard it would be to return to CP later; - value even if I fail to qualify for IOI/IOAI; - long-term career/research value; - whether sunk-cost thinking is affecting the decision. At the end, give me a clear recommendation for what you would choose in my situation and explain why. Do not default to “do both” unless you genuinely think serious preparation for both is realistic.

Drag to resize